The building that houses the Thessaloniki War Museum is located in the wider area of the Ares Field camp, where today the headquarters of the 3rd Army Corps is located. The building was designed by Italian architect Vitaliano Pozelli (1838-1918) in the early 20th century and was originally used by the Ottoman Army.
When Thessaloniki was liberated in 1912 by the Greek Army, it came under its ownership and military units were established there. After a period of disuse, the political and military leadership of the place decided to house the War Museum of the city here as a branch of the War Museum of Athens.
Its renovation and reconstruction work began in 1993. After the completion of the work, the Museum opened its doors to the public in 2000.